Options for Families and Youth
11351 Pearl Rd.
Suite 103 A
Strongsville, OH 44149
Waiting Child Adoptions
Please read our blog post about the status of our Adoption program.
This is the area that OFY has specialized in since 1997. We began by completing homestudies for OFY foster parents and for foster parents also licensed by the Cuyahoga County Department of Children and Family Services. Simply speaking, we converted foster parents into adoptive parents so that they could adopt the foster children already in their homes (that they had cared for) that had become eligible to be adopted.
According to the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System of the US Department of Health and Human Services, Children's Bureau, in 2013 there were an estimated 399,546 children in foster care as of September 30, 2013. Of these children, 101,719 were waiting to be adopted. The National Foster Care Coalition reports that 60% or more of the children in foster care who are available for adoption wait more than two or more years to be adopted.
Waiting Child Adoption Services at OFY:
- Completing homestudies for people who want to become adoptive parents for a child who is "waiting" in foster care;
- Facilitating the process for OFY foster parents to adopt the children in their homes.
- Helping to match families with children waiting to be adopted;
- Working along with the county/state agency holding custody of the child to place the waiting child in an OFY adoptive family.
- Supervising and supporting the adjustment of that child in the new family environment;
- Completing the adoption court packet (paperwork) and getting the case prepared to take into court;
- Filing the 'Petition To Adopt' with Cuyahoga County Probate Court;
- Accompanying, representing and recommending the child and family (for adoption) at the Adoption Finalization hearing where the adoption becomes legalized.
- Offering postfinalization services in the form of counseling, therapy, assessment and referrals to the adoptive family.
If you are interested in adopting a child from foster care or if you have further questions about Waiting Child Adoption, feel free to fill out an information form or simply call the OFY office.